Friday, January 22, 2010

Rant



OK, I'm annoyed. Again. So today you get a badly written rant.

This time it's because of Internet scams like "allexperts" or "examiner." These places use people for little or no money and then make tons of money off them with advertising. Really, it makes me nuts. People who end up working for them don't care because they believe it gives them exposure and will somehow help with their success. But that's kind of like saying working at a dive diner will help you on your way to being a head chef. Not very likely. Meanwhile, the ease of getting free or almost free workers drops the going pay rate for these types of job. Everyone gets hurt. It makes me mad.

"You get what you pay for." Remember that saying? Well, not too many other people do these days. While looking for more clues into Joco's mysterious limp, that even the vet can't diagnose, I ran into one of these sites that proclaim they have experts to answer your questions. Let's just say the woman "expert" shouldn't have been let out of her cage long enough to type. She not only did not answer the poor dog owner's question, who was asking for advise, but she decided the dog owner was somehow trying to be cheap and not pay for a vet. She berated the dog owner for asking for help. Nice.

But don't get me wrong, it's not all bad. I really do the the availability to get good information on the internet. I do it all the time. I love instructables.com, Make Magazine and a number of other sites I visit regularly. I just hate that for every good thing, there is someone out there scamming people with it.

One internet rant wont stop it. I don't believe it will ever go away. I'll still say, people do bad things because we let them. Remember Walmart? Sure you do, they never went away. Have they started treating their employees better? Have they stopped demanding manufacturers to make inferior, cheaper products for their stores? Of course not. We still shop there.

No comments: